cat subdued after fight

Fighting is most likely to occur when two adult cats meet for the first time; but they will also fight over territory, dominance issues, and owner attention. I determined he was not injured, when he finally let me get near, but he kept this weird behavior up for about a week. He was 5 at the time and had never been out for more than a minute or two. This is usually because she is, which is to be expected … If you find a puncture wound and your cat will let you, try to wash it well with hydrogen peroxide and keep it open so it heals from the inside out. When this happens, bite wounds can occur. The new cat was a female, about 3-4 months old. A cat fight abscess was out of the question. When my cat used to go outside and get beaten up by a bad neighborhood tom cat, sometimes she would develop an abscess and need veterinary care, but usually she was okay. The emotional signs exhibited by a cat that has been intentionally mishandled or abused can vary greatly from those found in a cat that has been hurt in a fight, or a cat that has hurt itself by accident. Introduction The family unit is a bee-hive of activity and emotions where, at times, voices can be raised and the kids fight over a game or opinion. A young woman has claimed a violent mid-air brawl on a Jetstar flight that forced an emergency landing in Bali to remove six aggressive passengers was sparked by a disagreement over a seat. My poor cat is new to the outdoors at 2 yrs old and she got in a fight with another cat for the first time. I am really worried about her. They will normally cause severe abscesses which can appear soon after a fight. My tenant's kitty is ok too, he came out of the basement and settled down. Give your cat a good once-over tonight if you are able to see if there are any significant wounds/sore spots. Catnip sometimes helped. When cats fight, they inflict deep wounds by biting with their canine teeth. Thanks for all the great answers, especially those early on this morning that helped me calm down a bit. Doesn't sound like a problem - no cat fight problems here. Cats stalk, stare, yowl, howl and puff up their fur (picture the arched back of the Halloween cat) to threaten each other. We reinforced all of the windows and have had no issues since then. Cats will fight for numerous reasons, predominantly as a result of social friction. Ask MetaFilter is where thousands of life's little questions are answered. Ask MetaFilter is a question and answer site that covers nearly any question on earth, where members help each other solve problems. One of my cats who seldom goes out was gone for several days, and when he came home he was freaked out like this, hid under the couch, would not go near any of us. During the day he acts his normal self. Cats who drool when they’re nervous or very happy have done it their entire lives, McGonigle notes. I'm sorry to hear this has happened and appreciate you must be very concerned. 2 Assess the health of the animals involved in the fight. Try to stand between them so they won't hurt each other again. You need to stay relaxed and talk in soothing tones, even if a fight seems to be brewing. For example, if a cat has been badly wounded they may hide in silence. After the nasty cat finally left he hid but has now come in limping with a scratch on each ear. I will check her out more thoroughly soon, but no obvious wounds. After he realizes he's safe, your cat will calm down, and then you can check him for cuts and bites, and then head off to the vet. last night (around almost exactly 11:00 pm), he snuck out of the house and got into a fight in my backyard with another neighborhood cat. Hopefully yours will reorient and mellow out faster, but misplaced aggression is a thing to ask your vet about if it lingers. Can Dogs Live Together After Fighting? We tried waiting, training, calming spray, an herbal product from our vet called Nutricalm and, finally, after several years and several recurrences, Prozac. He has long black hair, so I didn't notice until the side of his face started swelling and he started acting kind of sluggish, which had to have been at least a couple of days after it happened. This cat looked quite a bit smaller than Dave, and Dave was on … If you can get the cat to let you near it, I would try to wash any scratches or bites with warm water and some kind of cloth or paper towel, potentially salt water for its anti-microbial effects but not so salty it stings the cat horribly. She would hiss at him and he would back away. The emotional signs exhibited by a cat that has been intentionally mishandled or abused can vary greatly from those found in a cat that has been hurt in a fight, or a cat that has hurt itself by accident. With proper introductions, your cat may actually agree that the new kitten/dog/cat/rabbit was a loving gift after all. This morning he is completely lethargic. Cat fighting and the resultant injuries are a common reason that pets are examined and treated by veterinarians. Those last few items blew my theory out of the water. Do you know the neighbor cat, and whether it is up to date on shots? Thanks everyone. One of my cats attacks the others any time they come back from the vet--something about the smell, or them being gone for a few hours, just sets him off. Now he is angry towards our other cat, jumps on the dining room table and scratches the couch and tries to get outside. This is a long story. Of course, if you see obvious problems like mobility issues, then by all means take it. The most common post-surgical cat behaviors are the result of anesthetics still coursing through … The male cat, Jack, took it very well. There were no other cats in the house. Disruption to routine makes a cat skittish. Do you have any idea whether she might have fallen a significant distance, or landed awkwardly? This will prevent it from re-engaging with the other cat. It’s likely they’ve inherited this behaviour from their wild ancestors as cats in the wild who are suffering from an injury will often try to hide it in an attempt to dupe predators into thinking they’re not vulnerable. In fact, they may recommend rabies prophylaxis for you as well, and quarantine for your cat. Cats’ teeth are naturally sharp and are meant to tear easily into flesh. They may fight over a female, for a higher place in the pecking order, or to defend territory. By John Gilpatrick The average dog sleeps upwards of 10 hours per day, while most cats clock a solid 12 hours of shut-eye, meaning that in a given day, there’s a 50-50 chance your pet is sleeping whenever you see them. Their emotions will be unstable at the time so check for signs of excessive fear or anxiety and try to give them more attention than before since that will help them heal. The vet seemed very unalarmed by all of this, cleaned/shaved around the wound, gave him an antibiotic shot and determined he didn't need stitches. I have heard mixed reviews on whether it's good/bad to clean with hydrogen peroxide or alcohol, so I just don't (also they sting, so it's harder on the cat). I agree with Trexsock, no need for rabies booster. These wounds can remain hidden by hair. She still isn't home. That will clear up the diarrhea. That is, until her husband brought home a stray from work. Cat-girl was in a fight last week, and got her eye injured in the process. Even cats that have been raised in the same household can occasionally have disagreements over food, toys or a favorite sitting spot and use fangs and claws to settle the dispute. It is OK for hr to have tuna but it does not contain taurine which is essential in a cats diet So she needs to eat some cat food too. Make sure you are following your veterinarian’s recommendations regarding pain relief or if your cat seems to be in pain, schedule an appointment to have it checked out. Behavioral change in a cat is highly dependent upon the type of injury that it sustained. He sleeps, eats, and explores just the same, but at night he is acting weird. They mostly stayed in different parts of the house, or worked it out, but occasionally the gray one would go totally insane and attack the other. Let him have his space and keep your routines exactly the same, routines are very calming to animals. I once had two cats that didn't get along. All posts copyright their original authors. Your cat may have encountered a predator and no longer feels safe. i made an account just so i could ask this, ive been really worried about my cat the past 24 hours or so. by: Anonymous We were convinced we had brought home the wrong cat. Pain after an injury can also keep your cat from feeling as happy as it usually is. A friend had an indoor cat who escaped and was out for a week, and it also took that one a while to come back to normal, but he is fine now too. She is usually in and out a lot, and I haven't seen her since mid afternoon, and it's now after dark. I have two cats, Charlie and Danny. Helpful 0 Not Helpful 0. Your cat had a very scary experience and then when it thought it was safe things got scary again (though what happened is pretty normal when there are 2 cats in the house and one comes back smelling different) he needs some space to process it, fussing it and the like will just stress it. If your cat suddenly starts drooling when she never did before, it’s a cause for concern. These darn critters. Subdued after fight. We once had a cat hide out for a couple of weeks after a (to him, at least) "terrible event". Pain after an injury can also keep your cat from feeling as happy as it usually is. Make sure you are following your veterinarian’s recommendations regarding pain relief or if your cat seems to be in pain, schedule an appointment to have it checked out. I just wanted to add my sympathies, because the low-pitched growls are scary, but those insane screams of fury made my husband and I emotional wrecks. Our indoor cat got outside, maybe tangled with a feral cat. I hope she doesn't. then the best rule in these cases is to wait a day or even two or three because if something does get yucky and infected, it will be FAR easier for the vet to spot. Danny was in a fight a couple days ago. My cat (Male & 2 years old) is being strange, but in a complicated way. She had her shots and rabies but I’m worried is all:/ Maybe it’s just a pride thing! This is more common among unneutered cats. We turned on the light and saw a cat that looked amazingly identical to our boy tangling with a yellow tabby that runs around the neighborhood. Reply. Bad situation. Your body language and reactions to your cats when they are fighting is very important. Not knowing what to expect while your kitty's recovering can make this even worse. I couldn't get a vet appointment for another ~2 days after that. It unnerved me the first couple of times, but I eventually learned she just needed some time to calm down. I broke up the fight, but my cat was spooked and wouldn't come to me, so I haven't had a chance to look her over. Helpful 0 Not Helpful 1. That has stopped now. You may notice that your cat acting strangely after a fight. by Grace56 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:49 am Dave had one hell of a scrap this morning with another cat. I think he's just confused. Yet tiffs among felines are more common than you might think. You will need a rabies booster ASAP. fluffylulu Mon 11-Jul-11 18:59:19. If the gashes are just nicks then I really don't think a vet visit is warranted. If neither of the cats are yours, shoo them away in different directions. Thanks! Join 6,459 readers in helping fund MetaFilter. Your cat could also be sick or injured. He seems almost lifeless and barely responsive. I would set … Even if your cat was vaccinated for FIV, the vaccine is not very effective, so you should get him tested. How long after being scratched/bitten can I wait to go into the vet? Give your cat a while (possibly several hours) to calm down in a dark, enclosed space with food, water, and a litterbox available to him, and keep the other cat well away until Escapee Cat is calm and ready to explore on his own. Behavioral change in a cat is highly dependent upon the type of injury that it sustained. A trauma like that can take a while to recover from. He got back from the vet and smelled nothing like himself, causing uproar with the other kitties. Grain Free Cat Food for Urinary/Bladder Health. Waiting until morning is fine unless the cat has deep gashes/bleeding, if the eyeball is scratched or affected, or if your cat is just plain obviously in a lot of pain. My Cat has come home limping after fight (11 Posts) Add message | Report. She had no blood, scratches or bites on her as far as I can see, she is not licking herself anywhere. sarah says: August 15, 2014 at 4:08 am Hello this article was most informative thanks! If this doesn't go away after today, then I suggest getting a, I would take kitty to the vet and make sure. Add one tablespoon of rice cereal or boiled white rice. My indoor cat made those sounds and hid in the same way after he returned from an escape. Indoor cat found after 24 hrs. He'll likely be a bit subdued for a few days and then it should be uphill. Causes of Pet Lethargy. It may take a week or so but your cat will get back to normal in time. Sending your furry best friend into the operating room is stressful under any circumstance. Your cat may be sleepy, inactive, "out of it" -- in a word, she's probably acting stoned. I think you can safely wait until tomorrow unless there is a really major gash (very unlikely). Our indoor cat spent a night outdoors last year. My cat had a similar incident recently, and she did need care. Eventually he came back to being the same friendly old cat he always was. It freaked her out so much that she misplaced her aggression onto whomever was nearby. Scratches, unless they land on the face/belly, usually are mostly fur and not much skin involved. Unexpected loud noises will make a cat fearful. He remembers who they are by the next day and they go back to being cuddle buddies. His terror subsided after a day of that terrible noise. Nth waiting it out. She walked/jumped okay upon return and ate well. Taking him now would compound his terror, and increase the likelihood that you'd be scratched. Give him some time to feel and smell like himself again. Knowing which ones signal danger can keep you both more comfortable. Cats can get very scared by a bad experience. It's far from certain that your cat has any significant injury from one particular fight. Worst case is that one of the wounds will abcess and this will definitely result in a vet visit. i made an account just so i could ask this, ive been really worried about my cat the past 24 hours or so. Everything I've read about cats biting humans says to get it treated by an MD pronto. Knowing the subtle signs of illness will help you get your cat the attention he needs. Knowing the subtle signs of illness will help you get your cat the attention he needs. Once the cats are separated, pick up your cat. I later found out that the neighbours heard cats fighting just before. Female “catfighters” in Northern Ireland can earn up to £150 in return for d… Rosa Pomar/Flickr/CC BY 2.0 Treats are a wonderful way to “love” your pets because critters don’t have a choice; they all have to eat. It is getting later in the day, my regular vet is closing soon, and I may have to wait until morning to see them. The most common post-surgical cat behaviors are the result of anesthetics still coursing through your kitty's system hours later. How beat up is your cat? I broke up the fight, but my cat was spooked and wouldn't come to me, so I haven't had a chance to look her over. They will see you panic and they will do the same so if you remain calm they will also be more relaxed. 0 Stories 0 Votes Ask a Vet Ask a Vet. This can make even quick encounters between cats a potentially injurious experience. How to deal with memories from an animal attack? I think she injured herself running away. Cat Treats. Frowner: Rabias has an incubation period of weeks and it's unlikely the cat has caught it if they already had their vaccines up to date. It couldn't hurt to have some things that smell familiar-like-home in with the freaked out cat. Have you seen any sign of the mean intruder? Our cat Eli fell out of a first floor window two years and spent his first night outside ever. It's awful. The last thing you want to do after your cat had a fight is offer them a new trauma by scolding them. Even old surgeries and injuries can cause lingering pain or discomfort in your cat and may require chronic pain relief. Oh, and the one other thing to worry about as someone alluded to is figuring out if the other cat has any disease which might be communicable via bites, not sure what vet will recommend as a preventative if you're not sure but would guess it can wait until morning. For a bit of anecdata: about a year ago my cat got in a little scuffle that resulted in a pretty nice puncture wound on his face right beside his eye. Cat fights will often start with puffy tails or hissing, spitting, or growling as warning signs, which gives you an opportunity to intervene in a calm manner. My cat just got into a fight with a neighbor's cat. rabies* posted by Trexsock at 5:48 AM on February 19, 2012 . It could be that your cat has had a change in her diabetic status and that 4 units of insulin is too high a dose for her now. This same cat, when bored or not played with enough, would also stalk his owners ankles from underneath the couch, racing after his feet when he’d walk from room to room, intensely attacking his legs. My cat has just returned home after a cat fight. If you see any blood at all, a preventive visit to the vet tomorrow would be a good idea. Thank you jesus. Often cat fights sound way worse than they are. Never hit your cat when it is fighting, or after it's done fighting to punish it. 07 of 10. My 5 year old male cat was fine yesterday morning. Heard terrible noise outside so rushed out to see my cat fighting with another cat. Cat bites usually become infected as their needle point teeth puncture through the skin and muscle leaving behind bacteria which can fester and cause nasty infections. How long after being scratched/bitten can I wait to go into the vet? I am guessing she will need to go to the vet to get any bites/scratches attended to. Adult male cats may threaten, and sometimes fight with, other males. There's variables to consider in a cat fight. She's home. Seeking vet for cat with joint, skeletal, or... Hey Brooklyn Mefites, do you love your veterinarian. If a cat is suddenly scared of everything, consider if anything in its life is different. I give im a LOT of attention and what worries me most is that he has cuts on his ears, a bite mark on his back. Causes of Bite Wounds in Cats A bite wound typically occurs as a result of a fight or rough play between two cats or your cat and another animal. WOMEN have been stripping off and brawling in their bikinis for paying fans as part of a shocking new trend. Of course, it. However something must have taken effect overnight. Put some food, water a favourite bed or blanket with a familiar smell on and a kitty litter box in with it and when all the cats are calmer open the door and let it come out when it is ready. She never misses dinner. posted by Trexsock at 5:48 AM on February 19, 2012 . By: Erika Raines El Segundo, CA Replied on 04/19/2011. About a week later the wound healed fine and he was back to his energetic self. it was pitch black so i couldn't see anything, i only heard screeching, hissing, and growling outside my window. In fact, we didn't even realize he had gotten out until we were awakened in the middle of the night by a cat fight on our back porch. Both can cause bruising and crushing of tissue leading to severe pain. Our cat had reactions like this just from smelling/hearing strays through the window. An infected bite or cut will take a few days to be easily spotted.*. Also, he has had his shots and boosters in the past, but they are not up to date. He slept in the dark, close area until he felt safe enough to come out. Pay close attention to your cat's eating, drinking, and elimination until you take him to the vet. Nobody likes a cat fight -- the hissing, the yowling, the potential for real harm to one or both cats. I say go to the emergency vet. He was more accepting of her in the first two days. She's ok, but unfortunately expensive business to get checked out, but better than an infection and losing the eye. Bites can be bad, but they're worse if they're in a place the cat can't clean themselves, so a bite she can reach that isn't too deep may need no attention while a shallow bite where she can't reach might need treatment. What I would keep in mind, though, is that in about 2 months or so you will want to take him in and get him tested for FELV and FIV. Tried to spray other cat with water but he didn't care and kept attacking my lovely little boy. So glad to hear it! Join 6,459 readers in helping fund MetaFilter. She's very subdued but ate some dinner. When he came back he was sort of limping. Try fancy feast, 9 lives, friskies or any flavors they carry in your country. If your cat is sleeping all day and not eating or generally just seems like he's not feeling well, there's a good chance he may be sick. Add message | Report. I have been out calling for her all day, and her favorite neighbor is also looking for her. Moe was a happy cat, well behaved, only used the scratching post and stayed on the floor and was afraid to step foot outside. There was no way the cat had been in contact with another cat. Managing the needs of a scared cat requires a calm and relaxed owner. Cats in surgical recovery may experience temporary behavioral changes. The exact same thing (with the cats fighting and whatnot) happened to me when I took one of mine to get neutered. Having a vet check over ALL of a spooked kitty for damage means there's strong possibility they will miss something. All posts copyright their original authors. My kid in veterinary school says if there's nothing obvious like major gashes, eye shut, etc. My cat just got into a fight with a neighbor's cat. However, the vet wouldn't have been able to tell that right away. Unless your cat is showing visible signs that they’ve has been in a fight, like limping or wounds, it is common for catfight injuries to go unnoticed. FWIW, my outdoor cat has gotten into a few fights over the summer as when it's warm he seems to get a hormonal rush that makes him want to expand his territory. I would wait at least a day. Call the vet! He came back inside and is now growling and screeching in the bathroom. She’s had painkiller s and antibiotics, but still just lying down and subdued 1.5 hours after the vet visit. it was pitch black so i couldn't see anything, i only heard screeching, hissing, and growling outside my window. Only if your cat needs stitches or would need some kind of shot. Ask MetaFilter is where thousands of life's little questions are answered. I try to hold the warm damp cloth like a compress if my cat is chilled out enough to let you. He won't get up from his spot and keeps sleeping. Mom or dad calms the children down, hearing both points of view and in time, they are once again playing happily. last night (around almost exactly 11:00 pm), he snuck out of the house and got into a fight in my backyard with another neighborhood cat. My old cat was the same way, but recovered after a couple of hours. In the past, when my cat only has minor scratches I have opted not to go to the vet and just been very vigilant for the next week, continuing to clean and watch the scratches. It was probably the neighbor's EVIL cat. They fought and chased to several locations while we shouted for them to stop and eventually the ended up in the bathroom, screeching and clawing more intensely than we've ever seen. I am guessing she will need to go to the vet to get any bites/scratches attended to. Can I wait (providing it is minor injuries), or should I find an emergency vet? Get their recommendations over the phone before you go in - I have had vets tell me all kinds of different things, some insufficient and some overly dire, in a similar situation. As others said above, the big concern is a bite that abscesses--but that won't happen for a couple of days. Make sure the cat has food, water, and a litterbox in the bathroom and leave him be for a while . Share this conversation. If your cat seriously threatens you, another person, or another pet—and the behavior isn't an isolated incident—you should seek help as soon as possible from a cat behavior specialist. I have just noticed that she has withdrawn into a corner for the past 2 hours , and is not letting me … read more By being aware of your cat's regular activities and his general healthy physical appearance, it will be easier to notice little changes and identify when he's sick. Although cats may also attack dogs, they most commonly attack other cats. Thanks! nthing wait it out. Some cat bites and scratches can be nearly invisible, so the only way to tell they exist is by seeing abnormal behavior in your cat, swelling, limping, or tenderness. Cat skin heals fast, but what that can mean is that a puncture wound from another cat's incisor can go unnoticed till it abscesses.

Minoxidil And Finasteride Side Effects, Black Aphids On Maple Tree, Model-based Design Example, Cream Soda Cocktail Rum, Koti Womens College Timings, Private Maternity Hospital Near Me,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *